Rebecca Evans AM, Assembly Member for Gower, has long supported Fairtrade initiatives, and is pleased to celebrate Wales’ 10th Birthday as a Fairtrade Nation on Wednesday 6th June 2018.
Rebecca Evans AM said: “On 6th June 2008, Wales made history and became the first ever Fair Trade Nation, leading the way for nations across the globe.”
There are various milestones that have to be met for a country to be declared a Fair Trade Nation. These include:
• 100% of counties have active Fairtrade groups working towards Fairtrade status
• 100% of cities have Fairtrade status
• Over 55% of towns have active Fairtrade groups working towards Fairtrade status
• 60% of HE institutions have active Fairtrade groups working towards Fairtrade status
• 75% of people know about Fair Trade
The Fairtrade campaign seeks greater equity in international trade. It offers better trading conditions and rights for marginalised producers and workers, and guarantees a set minimum price to farmers for their products, which covers the cost of sustainable production and adds a premium to be spent on social or economic projects.
Fair trade products include fruit and vegetables, footballs, chocolate and clothing.
Rebecca Evans added: “We must continue to work for a global Fairtrade response for farmers at home and abroad.”